Displaced Or Homeless

Middletown Area School District is aware that life situations can occur that result in families being displaced from their living situations. We desire to do everything we can to assist students in their education even if they don't have permanent housing. Homeless or displaced families should contact the District immediately upon their displacement so the District can provide assistance in continuing their children's education. Please contact:

Dr. Chelton L. Hunter
Assistant to the Superintendent, Federal Programs Coordinator, Homeless Liaison, Foster Care Liaison
717-948-3300, ext. 1008

What is meant by the term "homeless children and youths"?

Section 725(2) of the McKinney-Vento Act10 defines "homeless children and youths" as individuals who lack a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence. The term includes:

Children and youths who are:
-  sharing the housing of other persons due to loss of housing, economic hardship, or a similar reason (sometimes referred to as "doubled-up");
-  living in motels, hotels, trailer parks, or camping grounds due to lack of alternative adequate accommodations;
-  living in emergency or transitional shelters; or
-  abandoned in hospitals;
Children and youths who have a primary nighttime residence that is a public or private place not designed for, or ordinarily used as, a regular sleeping accommodation for human beings;
Children and youths who are living in cars, parks, public spaces, abandoned buildings, substandard housing, bus or train stations, or similar settings; and
Migratory children who qualify as homeless because they are living in circumstances described above.

displaced flyer




The National Center for Homeless Education is a free service for displaced families. The NCHE website provides information about your child's school rights and includes helpful resources for parents.

NCHE website
NCHE email


The National Center for Homeless Education offers free folders which enable parents to safely keep important records and papers related to their child's schooling. The folders also explain the educational rights of children in homeless situations. To order folders, contact NCHE: NCHE Ordering 1-800-308-2145.

Información sobre los Niños y Jóvenes sin Hogar
Una Guía para Padres
Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2020 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.